Karen is a Specialist Chartered Child Clinical Psychologist with over six years experience working in Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) within the NHS. As a member of the British Psychological Society, Division of Clinical Psychology, Karen believes that the first stage of any intervention should be a high quality assessment to develop a good understanding of the difficulties that the child and family are struggling with, followed by setting goals for the work. She values the relationship between the therapist and the family, and believes this is critical to ensuring a good outcome and healthy development for the children she works with.
What Karen can help with
- Behavioural problems
- Emotional difficulties such as anxiety, phobias including school phobia and social phobia, depression
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder e.g screening assessments, interventions, support and advice – Trained in DISCO assessment
- Cognitive assessments
- Parenting support
- ADHD (screening, support, advice and intervention)
Areas of special interest
Karen has a wealth of experience working with children of all ages and tailors her approach to each individual. She enjoys working with children and developing a rapport with them, adjusting her approach according to the needs of each child and family. Within her work she draws on:
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) – an approach for working primarily with emotional disorders, which explores how thoughts and feelings impact upon behaviors, and how to change these.
- Systemic Therapeutic Approaches/Family work – an evidence based approach that explores relationships within the family and considers how critical these are in healthy psychological development. This approach empowers the family to draw on their strengths to change parts of the system.
- Narrative Therapy – an approach that supports children to develop different stories and externalize problems so that they do not consider themselves to be the problem, but instead they can take the problem, name it, begin to look at it more objectively and choose how they want to work with it.
Karen is registered with the BPS (British Psychological Society) and the HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council).
If you would like to make an appointment with Karen or speak to her about your concerns, please call us on 0208 6737930.