Heather is a skilled occupational therapist with almost 10 years of experience working with children. She has worked in a wide range of settings including NHS and private practices, special and mainstream schools, as well as specialist children’s units. She was also part of a team that helped set up a special school for children with autism in Ghana.
Heather is passionate about helping the children she works with to fully take part in activities they enjoy and reach their full potential.
How she can help
Occupational therapy is used to help children who have difficulty carrying out daily tasks needed to function and develop in everyday life. This could include a range of tasks such as getting dressed in the morning, eating dinner, being able to concentrate in class, or writing your name.
Heather can assess and treat children who have difficulties with:
- sensory processing skills (including the follow-on behavioural and physical difficulties)
- fine-motor skills (such as handwriting and scissor skills)
- gross-motor skills
- visual perceptual skills
- self-care and independence skills
She can provide input in both individual and group settings. Heather is also experienced in writing Annual Review and Education and Health Care Plan reports, and attending the meetings associated with these.
Areas of special interest
- Sensory processing difficulties affecting coordination and behaviour
- Feeding difficulties – picky vs problem feeing
- Handwriting skills
Heather’s training includes:
- Postgraduate Certification in Sensory Integration to Level 3 through the Sensory Integration Network
- When Children Won’t Eat: Picky vs Problem Feeders – Assessment and Treatment using the SOS (Sequential-Oral-Sensory) Approach to Feeding
- Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)
- Therapeutic use of Lycra to improve function and movement
- Understanding challenging behaviours (several training sessions)
- Understanding the difference between behavioural and sensory difficulties (run by the Sensory Integration Network UK)
To make an appointment with Heather or speak to her about your concerns, please call us on 0208 6737930.