Psychology and Play Therapy In Schools

Many schools have excellent pastoral care in place including school counsellors. However there may be cases of emotional or behavioral difficulties where the services of a child psychologist or play therapist are required.  In this case, a psychologist can come into school to meet with a child’s teacher/ SENCo/ counsellor,  carry out an assessment, and advise whether a course of therapy is needed.  This might be  with a psychologist, or in some cases, including those where the child has difficulty articulating their issues verbally, with a play therapist.  One of the key elements of therapy is having a consistent time and room for the sessions, and for this reason therapy sessions may take place at our Putney clinic and not at school.


Children’s Therapies will not be able to disclose anything that a child has said in a session with a psychologist or a play therapist, but the therapist will be able to give the relevant school staff an update on progress made during sessions. Parental consent is required before a child can be referred by a school and before a child can be assessed by a therapist.

If you would like to discuss ways in which we can support your school, please call Children’s Therapies on 0208 6737930